Thursday, March 18, 2010

Listening blog 4_ TV-News: Cyclone-hit Fiji begins clean up

Source : http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/cyclone-hit-fiji-begins-clean-up-3419532

Strategies:

* learn some vocab.
* take notes
* guest the meaning


Evaluation:
I choose this news because I think I am not always tough this kinds of vocab.
Finally, I feel hard again.
I used the strategies of learn vocab., take notes, guest the meaning. I still use take notes as one of the strategies that I feel its quite helpful for me to understand more and more. I can fill the missing words after the 1 listening time. I listen and watch the video together while I take notes on the first listening time, I feel the speaker speak too fast for me to take note. I let it go until it finish. After I have gotten the whole picture of the new in listening, I listen it again and again to fill in the blank in italic for the missing or wrong words. One stupid thing for me that I heard the sound of a word, but I am not sure, such as 'tree', I must know this easy word. In the beginning, I am not quite catch it until I watch a trunk was lying on the road, then I suddenly remember.
And I also learn the new words in on-line dictionary. Unfortunately, the script is not same ast eh video that I still miss some new words

Reflection :
According these few strategies, I think I can't do well watching and listening at the same time. On the other hand, it is quite helpful to give some more hits to understand.
Although it is the first time to watch the video as part of my listening skills, I think it is quite helpful for natural speaking in daily life that we speak with eye-contact to guess the meaning in the sentence.

Take notes:
cyclone damage hit Fiji weather better - had cleared
cleaner - clean up destroyed
damages unclear
craft fm NZ - need some more supplies areo???ssment
the disaster management
communication with pe??gy
looking for - more shelters and north division 4000 falls ???with their home
and trees creating hazal??? in Fuji
unfitted by storm ???thousands left homes
interrupt report NZ help Fiji

New words
Chainsaw: a tool used for cutting wood, consisting of a circular chain with ten which is driven by a motor.
Shovels: a tool with a rounded blade and a long handle used for moving earth, stones = spade
Gusts: sudden strong movement of wind, air, rain etc.
Cyclone: a very strong wind that moves very fast in a circle (hurricane, typhoon)
jetties: a wide wall or flat area built out into the water, used for getting on and off boa (pier)

No comments:

Post a Comment