Thursday, April 15, 2010

Listening blog 7 _Music: Nat King Cole: It's only a paper moon







Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgNef0mgOeI

Strategies:
Focus on overall sentences
Keywords
Guess the meaning
Take notes
Repetition

Evaluation:
When I try to choose a song for this blog, hard to believe that my daughter introduced this one. It was not only an old song and also a Black & white youTube that teenager suppose will not like this. They loved new technology and colourful. She described Nat King owned a warm, soft baritone voice. Some people said that he smoked a lot because he wanted to have a soft attractive voice.
Firstly, I listened this song 4 times without any notes taking or repetition which let me to do the strategies of guess the meaning and focus on overall sentences.
Secondly, try to take notes like dictation that stop by every sentences and repetition to type lyrics back in italic. Finally, check with the original lyrics.
When I took the first half of lyrics, the other half was the same and I can catch what he sang.

Reflection:
It was the first time I did it in song except in classroom. It's only 1.40 minutes., however I felt long to understand every lines for the whole song. Although Nat King was black American, he sang the song very clear. He was quite enhancing the "ve" sound to bit his lip. Since it was the first time I did it in song, but it was quite helpful to understand and write down the lyric. Finally, these strategies help me to listen clearly and make use the meaning step by step (guess first, dictation-note taking, read the lyric and correct at last). Information from wikipedia describe that he was the first black American to host a television variety show.

Take notes(lyrics)
It's only a paper moon, hanging over a cardboard sea.
but it wouldn't be make if you believed it in me.
It's only a canvas in sky, hanging over a muslin tree
but it won't be make believe if you believed in me
Without your love, its a honky-tonk parade.
Without your love, it's a melody played in a penny arcade.
It's Barnum and Bailey world,
Just as phony as it can be,
but it wouldn't be make believe, if you believed in me.
Without your love, it's a honky-tonk parade.
Without your love, it's a melody played in a penny arcade.
It's a Barnum and Bailey world, just as phony as it can be,
but it won't be make believe if you believed in me

No comments:

Post a Comment